Saturday, April 14, 2007

Tim's Introduction

And so the journey begins, well I'm not going to repeat anything that Rob has already mentioned, suffice to say that we both share a mutual disillusionment with current Linux Desktops.

After looking at Enlightenment 17 Rob and I saw an opportunity to build something that at least we would be happy using. E17 is under heavy development and as of yet has very few applications. It has, however got a collection of functionality rich but lite-weight libraries that combined form the EFL. This application vacuum seemed like the perfect environment to begin our project in.

I've started exploration of the bits and bobs that make up the EFL. EWL is first up, the Enlightenment Widget Library, it provides all those nice shiny buttons and after playing with it for a little bit seams well constructed and easy to use. I'm finding it interesting using a C widget set, it makes a change from all the C++ I usually do, though I'm sure before too long ill be begging for a virtual function ;-)

-Tim

No comments: